Re: suspicious valgrind reports about radixtree/tidstore on arm64 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: suspicious valgrind reports about radixtree/tidstore on arm64
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> I hypothesize that the reason we're not seeing equivalent failures
> on x86_64 is one of

> 1. x86_64 valgrind is stupider than aarch64, and fails to track that
> the contents of the SIMD registers are only partially defined.

> 2. x86_64 valgrind is smarter than aarch64, and is able to see
> that the "mask off invalid entries" step removes all the
> potentially-uninitialized bits.

Side note: it struck me that this could also be a valgrind version
skew issue.  But the machine I'm seeing the failure on is running
valgrind-3.22.0-1.fc38.aarch64, which is the same upstream version
as valgrind-3.22.0-2.el8.x86_64, where I don't see it.  So apparently
not.  (There is a 3.23.0 out recently, but its release notes don't
mention anything that seems related.)