Re: libpq PQstatus problem - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libpq PQstatus problem
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
<philip.howell@cit.act.edu.au> writes:
> Then I stopped the network (eth0) on the postgreSQL server and hit <return>
> again and still got

>> Connection status... OK

I don't believe this is a bug.  PQstatus indicates whether you did make
a successful connection to the database server --- it is not intended to
be an up-to-the-nanosecond report on whether the network is still up or
not.  In particular, the status will *not* be updated if you haven't
executed any new operations on the connection lately.

If you have a network that's so unstable that you need to program around
problems like this, consider 'ping'.
        regards, tom lane