Re: WIP: further sorting speedup - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: further sorting speedup
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:18:48PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The Datum is just a pointer into the original tuple in that case.

> That would still result in a speedup since you don't have to figure out
> where the field begins though, right? I'm curious as to how much this
> patch would help with sorting text...

Right.  It would help just as much as in the integer case as far as
eliminating the time spent in heap_getattr is concerned.  That would be
a smaller percentage of the whole, because bttextcmp is (a lot) slower
than btint4cmp, but that's no fault of the patch.

            regards, tom lane