Re: Potential autovacuum optimization: new tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Berkus
Subject Re: Potential autovacuum optimization: new tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Ah.  Okay, maybe we can agree that that wasn't a good idea.

Oh, I'd say there's no question it was a mistake.  We just didn't have the data at the time to realize it.

> I don't really see that we need to bend over backwards to exactly
> match
> some data points that you made up out of thin air.  How about
> ceil(sqrt(N)) to start with?

We can start with anything, including Jeff Jane's equation (for my part, I think sqrt(N) will result in analyzing very
largetables a bit too often) The tough part will be coming up with some way to test it.

--Josh