Re: disabling log_rotation_age feature. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: disabling log_rotation_age feature.
Date
List pgsql-docs
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Tomonari Katsumata
> <katsumata.tomonari@po.ntts.co.jp> wrote:
>> The document tells us to set it to ZERO if we want to disable the feature.
>> However, the feature would be disabled if we set it less than one minute.

> That's because log_rotation_age expects the setting value in minutes.

> This is not a problem only for log_rotation_age. When setting the parameter
> which expects the value in seconds to less than one second, the setting value
> is implicitly reset to the default.

It's not "reset to default", it's set to zero due to rounding the fraction
down.  Some GUCs interpret zero specially, some don't.

I wonder if we should round fractions up instead of down in that logic?
It might be less surprising for those GUCs where zero is special, and
it seems like about a wash for most others.

            regards, tom lane