Re: Dump/Restore of non-default PKs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Dump/Restore of non-default PKs
Date
Re: Dump/Restore of non-default PKs  (Simon Riggs <simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Dump/Restore of non-default PKs  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 1:00 PM Simon Riggs <simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com>
> wrote:
>> I propose that we change pg_dump so that when it creates a PK it does
>> so in 2 commands:
>> 1. CREATE [UNIQUE] INDEX iname ...
>> 2. ALTER TABLE .. ADD PRIMARY KEY USING INDEX iname;

> Why not just get rid of the limitation that constraint definitions don't
> support non-default methods?

That approach would be doubling down on the assumption that we can always
shoehorn more custom options into SQL-standard constraint clauses, and
we'll never fall foul of shift/reduce problems or future spec additions.
I think for example that USING INDEX TABLESPACE is a blot on humanity,
and I'd be very glad to see pg_dump stop using it in favor of doing
things as Simon suggests.