Re: Performance lossage in checkpoint dumping - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance lossage in checkpoint dumping
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> I am thinking it'd be a good idea if blind write went through fd.c and
>> thus was able to re-use open file descriptors, just like normal writes.
>> This should improve the efficiency of dumping dirty buffers during
>> checkpoint by a noticeable amount.

> Not sure how to handle the beta issue though.

After looking a little more, I think this is too big a change to risk
making for beta.  I was thinking it might be an easy change, but it's
not; there's noplace to store the open-relation reference if we don't
have a relcache entry.  But we don't want to pay the price of opening a
relcache entry just to dump some buffers.

I recall Vadim speculating about decoupling the storage manager's notion
of open files from the relcache, and having a much more lightweight
open-relation mechanism at the smgr level.  That might be a good way
to tackle this.  But I'm not going to touch it for 7.1...