Re: Bug #771: rewrite rules on update or insert do not report errors - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug #771: rewrite rules on update or insert do not report errors
Date
List pgsql-bugs
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org writes:
> If you try to use rules to implement update and insert on views, these
> rules do not report any error neither on insert nor on update action.

I see nothing in here that should raise an error.

> the tiers view shows all datas from user and his/her partners, is
> supposed to allow update of his/her own datas.

You seem to be thinking that the system should somehow intuit that
that's the behavior you want.  If you want it to act that way, you need
to code the rules to enforce it.  There is no magic to a rule: it does
what you tell it to do.

            regards, tom lane