Re: CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Japin Li <japinli@hotmail.com> writes:
> Why don't support CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS syntax in PostgreSQL?

FWIW, I'm generally hostile to CREATE IF NOT EXISTS semantics across
the board, because of its exceedingly squishy semantics: it ensures
that an object by that name exists, but you have exactly no guarantees
about its properties or contents.  The more complex the object, the
bigger that problem becomes ... and a whole database is the most
complex sort of object we have.  So IMV, the fact that we don't have
this "feature" is a good thing.

We do have DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS, and I think using that followed
by CREATE is a much better-defined approach.