Re: [BUGS] My investigations of the postmaster Bus error - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] My investigations of the postmaster Bus error
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I've been playing with the MIPS machine a little and still haven't found
> any _obvious_ cause for the problem.  However I suspect that it may be
> related to unaligned memory access, which _I think_ results in a SIGBUS
> on MIPS.  I haven't found any documentation on MIPS that would confirm
> this however.  I'm not sure exactly how would this by worked around; it
> occurs to me that we'd have to change config_real to look like

I don't think so --- to believe that the GUC data structures aren't
adequately aligned, you'd have to explain why PG doesn't crash on other
architectures that require 8-byte alignment of doubles, eg HPPA.

            regards, tom lane