Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> [Tom Lane]:
>> So somehow, the byte at page offset 0fff got changed
>> from 00 to 2f in memory, though not on disk.

> indeed interesting.  IMHO 0x0fff sounds more like a write to -1
> (relative to the next page) than a random memory error.

Note though that that offset is only special with respect to locations
on disk; it was not a special address in memory.  I'm wondering about
transient flakiness in your disk drive controller causing it to
sometimes return bad data.  Have you run any read/write disk tests?

            regards, tom lane