Re: ecpg program getting stuck - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ecpg program getting stuck
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Clark <sclark@netwolves.com> writes:
> I have a program that worked fine in 7.4.19. I am in process of upgrading
> to 8.3.1 and my program runs for a while and then hangs. I used gdb
> to attach to the process and it shows the following backtrace which
> shows it
> going into the libpq library and getting stuck.

Well, gdb is lying to you to some extent (you'd probably get a better
backtrace if you had built libpq with debug symbols), but I think it's
simply waiting for a query response.  Is the connected backend busy?

If the problem is that some query is taking way longer than you were
expecting, the first thought that comes to mind is "did you ANALYZE
your tables after reloading", and the second is "check for
configuration settings that you forgot to propagate into the new
installation".

            regards, tom lane