Re: regression test for extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: regression test for extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
>>> In my understanding, we don't have any regression test for protocol
>>> level prepared query (we do have SQL level prepared query tests,
>>> though). Shouldn't we add those tests to the regression test suites?

>> I thought that ECPG was covering a portion of that. Right?

> In my understanding, ECPG calls libpq, thus the test cases are limited
> to the cases which are only possible with libpq (or it may be even
> limited to the cases where ECPG deal with.)

I do not think it's very practical for the core tests to try to cover
any behavior that's not reachable via libpq.  Even testing stuff that's
not reached through ecpg would require a whole slew of new infrastructure
with no use except testing.

I think realistically a better approach to this would be to get some
buildfarm members running the JDBC regression tests (I assume there
are some ...)