Re: Postgres perl module namespace - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres perl module namespace
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2022-04-18 Mo 11:52, Noah Misch wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 07:15:30AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> I just, again, tried to backport a test as part of a bugfix. The
>>> renaming between 14 and 15 makes that task almost comically harder. The
>>> only way I see of dealing with that for the next 5 years is to just
>>> never backpatch tests to < 15. Which seems like a bad outcome.

> I'm not sure how often we do things like that. But I don't agree it's
> impossibly hard, although I can see it might be a bit annoying.

I think we back-patch test cases *all the time*.  So I think Andres
is quite right to be concerned about making that harder, although I'm
not sure that his estimate of the conversion difficulty is accurate.
I plan to keep a copy of Noah's script and see if applying that to
the patch files alleviates the pain.  In a few months we should have
a better idea of whether that's sufficient, or we want to go to the
work of back-patching the renaming.

I doubt that just plopping the new Cluster.pm in alongside the old
file could work --- wouldn't the two modules need to share state
somehow?

Another thing that ought to be on the table is back-patching
549ec201d (Replace Test::More plans with done_testing).  Those
test counts are an even huger pain for back-patching than the
renaming, because the count is often different in each branch.