Re: More logging for autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More logging for autovacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> With 8.3 having autovacuum on by default, we really should be logging at
> a mininum:

> autovacuum start
> autovacuum working (what am I working on but not what I am doing,
> meaning we don't need tuple information etc..)
> autovacuum stop

> Yes, by default or at least at no level higher than INFO.

No, NOT by default.  Our users have made it perfectly clear that they
don't want the logs cluttered with high-volume information about
non-error normal workings of the system.  Every time we have caused
the system to emit such data by default, the log level of the messages
in question has gotten dialed down in a later release.

I don't object to what Greg suggests as an option.  If we try to make
it the default behavior, we will find ourselves changing that.

As far as the debug/info/etc discussion goes: if there is a GUC variable
controlling it, just make the elevel be LOG.