Re: Is there a way to describe precision and scale for columns in a s - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is there a way to describe precision and scale for columns in a s
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
L J Bayuk <ljb220@mindspring.com> writes:
> Brijesh Shrivastav wrote:
>> It seems I can't get the select column information untill I perform an
>> PQexecPrepared().
>> Is there any way around it?

> I don't think so. The protocol supports it ("Describe" message on a named
> prepared statement, without Bind or Execute), and I assume the backend
> would play along, but I don't think libpq has any way to let you do it
> in the current release.

libpq doesn't currently have any API to let you get at
Describe-Statement.  This is obviously something to fix.  There are
actually quite a few aspects of the v3 backend protocol that libpq
has no API for as yet.  I would like to see someone think about prepared
statements and parameters in general, and put forward a coherent
proposed API for the whole mess.  But short of that, we could accept
a solution for this particular issue ...
        regards, tom lane