Re: Documentation clarification re: ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Documentation clarification re: ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 2:14 PM Isaac Morland <isaac.morland@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm looking at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-analyze.html,
>> where it says “Without a table_and_columns list, ANALYZE processes every
>> table and materialized view in the current database that the current user
>> has permission to analyze.”.
>> I don’t believe there is a separate “analyze” permission, so which tables
>> is this? Tables owned by the user? Ones where it can insert/update/delete?
>> Ones where it can select?

> Owners only - at least in previous releases.  I don't recall whether the
> addition of new roles to cover subsets of administrative privileges ever
> was extended to cover vacuum/analyze but I do not think it has.

Actually, looking in the source code finds

     * We allow the user to vacuum or analyze a table if he is superuser, the
     * table owner, or the database owner (but in the latter case, only if
     * it's not a shared relation).

It's definitely a documentation omission that this isn't spelled out in
the ANALYZE reference page (VACUUM's page does have text about it).