Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think we have only a few options:

You forgot
o  Do nothing.

IMHO the current behavior is not broken, and does not need fixed.
All of the options you suggest are surely more broken than the current
behavior.

>     o  Issue a RESET on transaction completion (commit or abort) for any
>        SET variable set in the transaction.  (This will cause problems
>        for API's like ecpg which are always in a transaction.)

RESET would certainly not be a desirable behavior.  If we want SET vars
to roll back on abort, then they should roll back --- ie, resume their
transaction-start-time values.  But I doubt it's worth the trouble.
That behavior would do nothing to help JDBC implement timeouts, since
they'd still need to change the value again explicitly after successful
transaction completion.