Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Isn't pg_statistic a security hole?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> It seems to me that only superusers should be allowed to read the
>> pg_statistic table.  Or am I overreacting?  Comments?

> You are not overreacting.  Imagine a salary column.  I can imagine
> max/min being quite interesting.

A fine example, indeed ;-)

> I doubt it is worth letting non-super users see values in that table.
> Their only value is in debugging the optimizer, which seems like a
> super-user job anyway.

Well, mumble.  I routinely ask people who're complaining of bad plans
for extracts from their pg_statistic table.  I don't foresee that need
vanishing any time soon :-(.  The idea of a view seemed nice, in part
because it could be set up to give all the useful info with a simple
select * from pg_statview where relname = 'foo';

rather than the messy three-way join you have to type now.