Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Is it a good idea for CREATE TABLE to default to WITHOUT OIDS, rather
> than WITH OIDS?

Are you intending that pg_dump will always attach either WITH OIDS or
WITHOUT OIDS to its CREATE TABLE commands?

If we do not do so, the behavior of a dump and reload will be dependent
on the setting of the GUC variable at reload time, which seems like a
big hazard.  On the other hand, if we do do that then (a) pg_dump output
becomes even less portable than it is now, and (b) upgraded databases
will still have OIDs, which renders the "improved storage efficiency"
argument a bit thin.