Re: RFD: hexstring(n) data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFD: hexstring(n) data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> However bytea has an inconvenient string representation. Really I would prefer
> if bytea were *always* read and written in hex format.

Yeah, the escaping rule is a mess: hard to work with and even less
storage-efficient than hex would be.

> We could have a guc to
> enable this but it would make it hard to write code which would function
> consistently as part of a larger application.

Well, the datetime types have had DateStyle for years and people have
managed to deal with it, so maybe you're overestimating the problem.