Re: Compression in PG - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaul Dar
Subject Re: Compression in PG
Date
Re: Compression in PG  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Compression in PG  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Guys,

I am aware of the TOAST mechanism (actually complained about it in this forum...). The text fields I have are below the limits that trigger this mechanism, and also I may want to compress specific fields, not all of them. And also I have performance concerns as TOAST splits tables and can potentially cause a performance hit on queries.

My question is if PG can compress smaller text fields e.g 0.5-1KB, or must I do this outside PG?

-- Shaul

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/1 Shaul Dar <shauldar@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have several long text fields in my DB that I would love to compress
>> (descriptions, URLs etc). Can you tell me what options exists in PG
>> (+pointers please), typical effect on space and run time?
>
> Hello
>
> You can do nothing. PostgreSQL compresses data automatically
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/storage-toast.html

Well you can pick a strategy.  But yeah, there's not much for the
average user to do really.