Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaul Dar
Subject Re: Best way to load test a postgresql server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:

If you want to load test your own specific DB then I am unaware of any such tools.

pgbench will run against any schema and queries, the built-in set are just the easiest to use.  I just released a bunch of slides and a package I named pgbench-tools that show some of the possibilities here, links to everything are at: http://notemagnet.blogspot.com/2009/05/bottom-up-postgresql-benchmarking-and.html

ׂGreg,

Have you actually run pgbench against your own schema? Can you point me to an example? I also had the same impression reading the documentation. But when I tried it with the proper flags to use my own DB and query file I got an error that it couldn't find one of the tables mentioned in the built-in test! I concluded that I cannot use any schema, I could only supply my own DB but with the same set of tables pgbench expects. Maybe I missed something or made a mistake?

Thanks,

-- Shaul