Re: distinct on extract returns composite type - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: distinct on extract returns composite type
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mariel Cherkassky <mariel.cherkassky@gmail.com> writes:
> In my query I wrapped the columns with distinct : distinct (extract year...
> , extract quarter..).
> In your query you didnt wrap the columns with distinct but you just
> mentioned it. I guess this is the difference, thanks !

Yeah.  DISTINCT does not have an argument, it's just a keyword you
can stick in after SELECT.  So what you had as the select's targetlist
was (expr,expr), which is read as an implicit row constructor, that
is the same as ROW(expr,expr).  One of many arguably not-well-designed
things about SQL syntax :-(

            regards, tom lane