Re: BUG #6671: Killed restore command causes postmaster to exit - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #6671: Killed restore command causes postmaster to exit
Date
List pgsql-bugs
edward@heroku.com writes:
> We have this thing where we kill the restore command sometimes, to ensure
> it's not stuck.

Um, what makes you think that's a good idea?

> This has rarely led to postmaster dying afterwards instead of retrying.

"Rarely"?  As I read the code, it will happen every single time.
Failure of the restore process is a failure, we do not retry.
(The general theory is that if you think you need retries, you
should code the restore_command to handle that.)

            regards, tom lane