Re: PG + PHP, was Re: [GENERAL] Zend survey result about dbms... - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG + PHP, was Re: [GENERAL] Zend survey result about dbms...
Date
List pgsql-php
> One thing I think would be useful is another pseudo-var in PG,
> something like APP_SESSION_VAR which can be set and then used in PG
> queries.

> Tom - if I offered to produce a patch for something like this - either a var
> or a function pair (get_app_session_var(), set_app_session_var(varchar))
> would it be likely to be accepted?

It'd depend a lot on the details of what you propose, I think.  True
variables seem like they'd be rather invasive, not to mention possibly
error-prone (is "foo" a variable or a column reference?).  However you
could do something pretty self-contained in the form of a couple of
functions.  I'd suggest they support more than just one variable, btw.
How about "set_session_variable(varname, varvalue)" and
"get_session_variable(varname)"?

I should think we'd at least accept that as a contrib module; whether it
would become mainstream would probably depend on the level of interest.

            regards, tom lane