Re: [HACKERS] SAVEPOINT syntax again - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SAVEPOINT syntax again
Date
Re: [HACKERS] SAVEPOINT syntax again
List pgsql-patches
Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> writes:
> Oracle has ROLLBACK TO [ SAVEPOINT ] <savepoint specifier>
> DB2 has ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT <savepoint specifier>

I would go with Oracle's lead here, first because they are the de facto
standard, and second because I don't want to have to type out SAVEPOINT
every time I use one of these commands.

> <release savepoint statement> ::= RELEASE SAVEPOINT <savepoint specifier>

> Oracle does not have RELEASE SAVEPOINT.
> DB2 has RELEASE [ TO ] SAVEPOINT <savepoint specifier>

I'd vote for RELEASE [ SAVEPOINT ] <name> (for brevity, and for
consistency with ROLLBACK).  I feel no urge to copy DB2.

            regards, tom lane