Re: regarding postmaster.pid file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: regarding postmaster.pid file
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> You do realize that postmaster.pid only takes 100 or so bytes?  If you
>> are out of space on the database partition, moving the pid file would
>> *not* help measurably.

> I think he's thinking the other way around. If the file system does
> fill up he wants postgres to still be able to start up.

With zero space left, it's unlikely to get far; I repeat my statement
that moving postmaster.pid alone is a useless activity.  (It would be
an incredibly dangerous thing to do anyway, since dissociating
postmaster.pid from the data directory it's supposed to protect would
substantially degrade its trustworthiness as a lock file.)

            regards, tom lane