Re: initdb: directory not empty issue - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb: directory not empty issue
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Jeffrey Quinn <jquinn@cs.usfca.edu> writes:
> The problem, however, is that this will fail if I am trying to enable a
> separate filesystem as the data location.  It's rather annoying to have
> to remove a lost+found directory (or other files), init the db, and then
> remake lost+found (and restore other files).  How about a --force
> flag?

Why not create a /data directory just below the filesystem root, and use
that?

I believe it's generally considered that root should own filesystem
mount points, so using a filesystem root directory directly as the PG
data directory seems like bad practice.

            regards, tom lane