Re: System lockup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: System lockup
Date
List pgsql-general
DeJuan Jackson <djackson@speedfc.com> writes:
> Both systems locks up, no faults, no core dumps, it just completely stop
> responding and has to be hard booted...  Beyond that your guess is as
> good as mine.

The whole system freezes, not only Postgres?  In that case I don't think
you need to guess very hard: you've got a hardware problem.  Well, maybe
it could be a kernel bug, but I'd bet hardware.  In any case, Postgres
is an unprivileged user process: it can *not* lock up the rest of the
system.  It could tickle a kernel bug that results in a lockup, but that
doesn't make it Postgres' fault.

            regards, tom lane