Re: Installing on IBM AIX 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Installing on IBM AIX 7.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Hastie <andrew@ahastie.net> writes:
> Does anyone out there have any experience or feedback on
> building+installing PG on an AIX7.1 system?

> I need to do some testing on this platform in a few weeks time, so any
> hints or tips greatly appreciated.

We've had some recent reports of portability issues on AIX 7.1 --- see
last week's pgsql-bugs archives, or try an archive search:
http://www.postgresql.org/search/?m=1&q=AIX&l=&d=31&s=d
See particularly
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2012-07/msg00222.php

AFAIK none of the major Postgres developers use AIX, and currently the
only buildfarm member testing AIX is testing a pretty ancient version,
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=grebe&br=HEAD
so it's not exactly surprising if some portability issues have snuck in.
So the first thing you ought to do is just run through some basic
regression testing and see if you hit anything that clearly needs to be
fixed.

If you are thinking of relying on PG+AIX for production, it would be a
worthwhile contribution to provide a buildfarm member to keep us honest:
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/register-form.pl

            regards, tom lane