Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> You're thinking that pg_ctl would capture it's parent PID and pass it
> to the postmaster one way or the other?  That seems like it covers the
> specific issue you were referencing up-thread.  It has been bubbling
> around in my head that we have other processes which run under the
> same user ID for such things as vacuum and purge scripts, as well as
> rsync of backup files.  These would still create some risk of a false
> match, right?  Just a much smaller risk?

Only if they are running at times when your postmaster(s) aren't ...
realistically, unless you launch them from initscripts that start before
your postmasters launch, I don't think there's going to be a problem.
Still, just from a security point of view, it might be better if those
don't run as the postgres operating-system user.  Not sure if that's
workable for rsync (since it has to be able to read the postgres files)
but stuff like vacuum scripts could surely be run from a different
userid.