Re: running script on server shutdown (TODO) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: running script on server shutdown (TODO)
Date
List pgsql-patches
Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttnet.net.tr> writes:
> I've written a small patch for following TODO item:
>   �Add GUC variable to run a command on database
>   panic or smart/fast/immediate shutdown.�

I'm not sure why this is in TODO; it's a stupid if not outright
dangerous idea.  Quite aside from any security considerations,
the time the script takes is taken away from the time available
to shut down the database before the kernel takes matters into
its own hands.

Besides, what is the point?  Whatever you need to do can be incorporated
into the initscript you use to start up or shut down the postmaster.
I see no need for this functionality to be inside the postmaster.

            regards, tom lane