Re: [SOLVED] Re: initdb error: "could not identify current directory" (or, what have i done now?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SOLVED] Re: initdb error: "could not identify current directory" (or, what have i done now?)
Date
In response to [SOLVED] Re: initdb error: "could not identify current directory" (or, what have i done now?)  (OpenMacNews <pgsql-general.20.openmacnews@spamgourmet.com>)
List pgsql-general
OpenMacNews <pgsql-general.20.openmacnews@spamgourmet.com> writes:
> on my sys:

>    % ls -ald /Volumes/data
>         drwxr-x--x  12 openmac wheel 408 Nov 27 15:25 /Volumes/data/

Ah-hah, yes that's undoubtedly it.

> if this *does* turn out to be the case, does it make sense to have the script
> check perms up through the physical/path of the cwd and report with a more
> specific/desciptive error if they're not at least 555 on the mount
> point?

I'm not in the business of reimplementing getcwd(); especially not to
deal with a problem that will break many other things besides Postgres.
I'd suggest filing a bug against whatever tool you used to create
/Volumes/data/, suggesting that they adopt a less brain-dead default
permissions setting.  Execute-only on a mount point is just silly.

            regards, tom lane