Re: [HACKERS] Error: shmget failed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Error: shmget failed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Roberto Joao Lopes Garcia <roberto@mha.com.br> writes:
> I tried to start postmaster and it report an error, see bellow:
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
> size=1073152, permission=600
> FATAL 1:  ShmemCreate: cannot create region

As a quick hack you can start the postmaster with smaller-than-
normal -B and -N (say -B 40 -N 20).  Long term solution is to
increase your kernel's SHMMAX limit to more than 1 megabyte.

I thought we had adjusted the default -B and -N to stay just
under a meg, which is the default SHMMAX value on many kernels.
But it looks like someone chewed up some more shared memory when
I wasn't looking :-(.