Re: How to send an email when data is inserted into a table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Fontenot, Paul
Subject Re: How to send an email when data is inserted into a table
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm using pgMail for this type of capability. Go to
http://sourceforge.net and search for pgMail

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Allen [mailto:Allen.Nicholas@lycos.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 8:42 AM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] How to send an email when data is inserted into a
table

Hi,

I have a table which stores bugs which can be submitted by users of our
client
program. I would like a way that when a new bug is inserted an email is
sent
to the developers informing them of this.

I tried using a python trigger function to execute sendmail and pipe
SMTP
headers to it but the problem seems to be that the python functions are
interpretted in a restrictive environment and don't allow access to
local
resources (files /processes etc). When I execute the python function
outside
of postgres it works fine but not when used as a trigger functions.

I know I can do it by writing a C function but I would rather not use C
if
possible in the case. Python would be easier to maintain.

Any ideas? Do I have to use C or is there a way to do this from pyhton?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Nicholas Allen.