Re: what exactly is a PlaceHolderVar? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: what exactly is a PlaceHolderVar?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> ...but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

The fundamental point is to be able to force a value to go to NULL
when outer-join logic says it ought to.  Consider
CREATE VIEW foo AS SELECT x,y,'zed' FROM bar;
SELECT * FROM baz LEFT JOIN foo ON (baz.a = foo.x);

If you try to flatten the view then you end up with a constant 'zed'
that needs to be replaced by NULL whenever baz.a hasn't got a match
in bar.x.  There's no way to make a constant go to NULL though: it's
a constant, n'est-ce pas?  Instead, we have the idea of an expression
PlaceHolderVar(foo, 'zed').  This will go to null if variables from foo
ought to go to null.  Otherwise it produces 'zed'.  Sort of an
anti-COALESCE.