Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Oct 14, 2021, at 2:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> (a) Isn't that just holding open one connection, not the whole instance?

Yes.

> (b) Wouldn't finish()ing that connection cause the temp tables to be
> dropped, negating the entire point of the test?

The finish() would have to be the last line of the test.

> TBH, I seriously doubt this test case is worth expending buildfarm
> cycles on forevermore.  I'm more than a bit tempted to just drop
> it, rather than also expending developer time figuring out why it's
> not as portable as it looks.

I'm curious if the test is indicating something about the underlying test system.  Only one other test in the tree uses
background_psql(). I was hoping Andrew would have something to say about whether this is a bug with that function or
justuser error on my part.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company