Re: Ragged CSV import - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Ragged CSV import
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I am fuzzy on the implementation details for making COPY act as a data
> source for INSERT/SELECT though.  I had thought to make EXPLAIN a data
> source, but it turned out not to be possible (as far as I could tell)
> without making EXPLAIN a fully-reserved word, which you vetoed.  It
> seems likely that COPY will present similar issues, though I haven't
> tried.

IIRC the previous discussion touched on making it look like a
set-returning function, although this would be a shade less convenient
for option parsing etc.

> I am also wondering what happens when someone embeds multiple COPY
> statements in a single query, or sticks one inside of a CTE or on the
> inner side of a left join.

Yeah, it would need to be restricted somehow.  A straight SRF function
would materialize its result, but I doubt we want that to happen for
COPY.

(This brings up the whole question of performance impact, which would
have to be thought about and minimized.)