Re: core dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: core dump
Date
List pgsql-general
"John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> writes:
> 1. I copied the entire data directory [including
> postgresql.conf, base, ...] from postgreSQL 7.3.2 (AIX4.3)
> to the installation postgreSQL 7.3.4 (AIX5.1), the same filesystem
> setup. I didn't do an dump/reload process
> since the copy process is faster.

> Is it OK to take this shortcut in postgreSQL? any side-effects?

Given that you are now seeing problems on the new installation, it seems
it didn't work too well :-(

I'm not sure why though.  7.3.2->7.3.4 should not have any file-level
incompatibilities, assuming you built both with the same configure
options (might be worth double-checking that).  The OS version jump
might possibly be the culprit --- is it possible they changed the
compiler's struct packing rules between 4.3 and 5.1?  Oh, and I'm
assuming these systems are the same underlying hardware architecture ...

            regards, tom lane