Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Amit kapila <amit.kapila@huawei.com> writes:
> 1. does this follow the behavior that admin users will not be allowed to invoke postgres child process?

That's an interesting question.  I'm not sure if we'd want to disable
the no-root check on the Unix side, but it might make sense to.  But
this has no bearing on what libpq does, does it?

> 2. to find standalone_backend incase user didn't input, do we need mechanism similar to getInstallationPaths()?

No.  There is no reason at all for libpq to think it is part of a
postgres-supplied program, so it can't use any relative-path tricks,
even if it had the program's argv[0] which it does not.  Either the
compiled-in path works, or the user has to give one.

(But having said that, if Windows provides a way for a DLL to find
out its own filesystem location, maybe relative path from there would
work.)