Re: db size - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vinubalaji Gopal
Subject Re: db size
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Adrian,

>When I do a pg_dump with the following parameters "/usr/bin/pg_dump -E
UTF8 -F c -b" I get a file of 14GB in size.

From the man page of pg_dump
"
-F format, --format=format

 Selects the format of the output. format can be one of the following:
output a custom archive suitable for input into pg_restore. This is the most flexible format in that it allows
reorderingof data load as well as schema elements. This format is also compressed by default.
"

 The output is compressed and it is a dump of the database which contain the SQL commands:

>But the database is 110GB in size on the disk.  Why the big difference
>in size?  Does this have anything to do with performance?

VACUUM or VACUUM FULL of the entire database will reduce the size of the database by reclaiming any unused space and
youcan use the filesystem based backup or backup/restore strategy.