Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm
Date
Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Re: Recording test runtimes with the buildfarm  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Alternatively, people with access to the database could extract the logs
> and post-process them using perl or python. That would involve no work
> on my part :-) But it would not be automated.

Yeah, we could easily extract per-test-script runtimes, since pg_regress
started to print those.  But ...

> What we do record (in build_status_log) is the time each step took. So
> any regression test that suddenly blew out should likewise cause a
> blowout in the time the whole "make check" took.

I have in the past scraped the latter results and tried to make sense of
them.  They are *mighty* noisy, even when considering just one animal
that I know to be running on a machine with little else to do.  Maybe
averaging across the whole buildfarm could reduce the noise level, but
I'm not very hopeful.  Per-test-script times would likely be even
noisier (ISTM anyway, maybe I'm wrong).

The entire reason we've been discussing a separate performance farm
is the expectation that buildfarm timings will be too noisy to be
useful to detect any but the most obvious performance effects.