arrays and block size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scara Maccai
Subject arrays and block size
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I need to store a lot of int8 columns (2000-2500) in a table.

I was thinking about using int8[], and I would like to know:

1) is there a max size for arrays? I guess I could have 1 GB "worth" of values, but I would like a confirmation
2) there won't be any updates, only inserts and selects; since I will be using ZFS would there be any benefit in
changingthe block size (for example to 32K) in postgresql? Would it be better to use ZFS compression instead of
postgresql's(TOAST)? That is: should I EXTERNAL for that array column and set compression=on for ZFS? I tried ZFS
compression=ona 200 columns table and it worked faster than with compression=off...