Re: Posgresql 7.2b1 crashes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Posgresql 7.2b1 crashes
Date
Re: Posgresql 7.2b1 crashes
Re: Posgresql 7.2b1 crashes
List pgsql-hackers
"Mr. Shannon Aldinger" <god@yinyang.hjsoft.com> writes:
> I don't have a core file, it died overnight both times so i don't know
> exactly but I can give you the general query it performs. By crash i mean
> the postmaster process is gone along with it's sub-processes or threads.

Postmaster dies too?  Wow.  If you aren't seeing a core file, perhaps
it's because you are starting the postmaster under "ulimit -c 0".
You need the process context to be "ulimit -c unlimited" to allow cores
to be dropped.  Might be worth running with -d 2 to enable query logging
as well.

>> ... except perhaps that.  If you compiled with --enable-locale, an
>> update to glibc 2.2.3 is strongly advised.  There's a nasty bug in
>> strcoll() in 2.2.x.
>>
> I think i'm running 2.2.3, but i'm not 100% sure.
> from config.status:
> ./configure  --enable-multibyte --with-maxbackends=128 --with-openssl
> - --enable-odbc --with-CXX --with-gnu-ld --enable-syslog

Since you didn't use --enable-locale, it's irrelevant; AFAIK we don't
call strcoll() unless that option's been selected.  The known forms of
the strcoll problem wouldn't cause a postmaster crash anyway, only
backend crashes.  So you've got something new.  Please keep us posted.