Re: High load and iowait but no disk access - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rémy Beaumont
Subject Re: High load and iowait but no disk access
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 30-Aug-05, at 14:32, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Remy,
>
>> The behavior we see is that when running queries that do random reads
>> on disk, IOWAIT goes over 80% and actual disk IO falls to a crawl at a
>> throughput bellow 3000kB/s (We usually average 40000 kB/s to 80000
>> kB/s
>> on sequential read operations on the netapps)
>
> This seems pretty low for a NetApp -- you should be able to manage up
> 180mb/s, if not higher.   Are you sure it's configured correctly?
Hi Josh,

The config has been reviewed by NetApp. We do get rates higher then
80mb/s, but on average, that's what we get.

Do you have NetApp filers deployed ?
How many spindles do you have in your volume ?
On which OS are you running Postgres ?

Thanks,

Rémy