Re: Wrong startup script of PostgreSQL 9.1.2 under OpenBSD 5.1 - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Wrong startup script of PostgreSQL 9.1.2 under OpenBSD 5.1
Date
List pgsql-docs
Denis Lapshin <deniza956@gmail.com> writes:
> On page http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/server-start.html
> was published a wrong startup script for automatic starting PostgeSQL
> during boot under OpenBSD.

> Here is a working one which should be placed into /etc/rc.local file:

> if [ -x /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -a -x /usr/local/bin/postgres ]; then
>    su - _postgresql -c '/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/postgresql/data
> start -l /var/postgresql/logfile -s'
>    echo -n 'postgresql'
> fi

Right offhand it's not apparent to me that either of these can be said
to be "right" or "wrong".  You are making different assumptions about
the installation directory and user name than what is in the
documentation, but your assumptions aren't more right than the docs'.
As stated there, the examples use generic choices that may need to be
adjusted for particular systems.

            regards, tom lane