Re: error messages (autovaccum canceled and syntax errors) while loading a DUMP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: error messages (autovaccum canceled and syntax errors) while loading a DUMP
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> writes:
> On Thursday, 25 June 2020 21:41:54 CEST, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> wrote:
>> regardless of the exact details, it seems like the most likely theory
>> about what is happening is that the dump file is corrupt and the
>> corruption is causing the de-gzipped output to be missing or
>> duplicating chunks of text.

> I think, that a
> gzip -dc foo
> will work, regardless of the file names extensiom not beeing .gz

Agreed, that gzip command won't care.  I was concerned about what
might've happened in between.

> I think also, if the file have been corrupted on transport, gzip -dc ...
> would complain about.

Maybe.  It'd be unlikely to be able to tell before reaching the CRC
checksum at the end of the file, and it seems likely that it never
does reach the end in this usage ... are you allowing the psql run
to complete?  Even if you are, you might miss gzip's one-line complaint
in between all the whining from psql.

            regards, tom lane