Re: error messages (autovaccum canceled and syntax errors) while loading a DUMP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: error messages (autovaccum canceled and syntax errors) while loading a DUMP
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 6/25/20 11:03 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>> I looked in the dump file after uncompressing it. The 'syntax error'
>> comes from: one large table contains in a bytea column Perl code wich
>> our software reads from the table and executes it with Perl. But, why
>> the psql tryes to understand this code when it should INSERT it into the
>> table?

The perl fragment you show is similar to what's reported in the error
message, but it doesn't quite match, so I'm not 100% sold on the
theory that that's somehow not been quoted correctly.  However,
regardless of the exact details, it seems like the most likely theory
about what is happening is that the dump file is corrupt and the
corruption is causing the de-gzipped output to be missing or
duplicating chunks of text.  (Given the way gzip compression works,
that wouldn't be a very surprising symptom.)  So that leads me to
wonder what was done to the dump file in between creation and use.
One idea, seeing that the dump file was not given a ".gz" extension
that would reflect its compressed state, is that something thought it
was plain text and tried to do a newline conversion on it.  If it was
passed through email that would be a really plausible mechanism...

            regards, tom lane