Re: initdb & multibyte - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb & multibyte
Date
List pgsql-general
source <source@celasmaya.edu.gt> writes:
> We get the error:
> initdb: pg_encoding failed

Hmm.  Someone else told me about seeing the same thing on a Linux box,
but I didn't hear what the resolution was.

initdb is not very good about giving you details about failures of
the programs it calls --- in particular, pg_encoding's stdout/stderr
is rerouted to /dev/null in the script :-(.  I'd recommend changing
the initdb script to not redirect pg_encoding's output, and then
you'll be able to see what pg_encoding is unhappy about.  Let us know...

            regards, tom lane